- Client: CES
- Project: Wimbledon College of Art BREEAM strategy
- Sustainable Features:
- BREEAM outstanding
- Zero CO2 emissions
- Natural Lighting & Ventilation
- BREEAM 2016 & 2017 nominee
- Green Apple Award winner 2014
- New London Awards (NLA) special Ashden Prize
- Best Education Project & Engineer of the Year nominee
- Structural Timber Awards
Wimbledon College of Art, part of the University of the Arts London (UAL), have recently completed the development of this new studio space. The College’s key objective was to provide new studio facilities that would make more efficient use of the main campus replacing a number of temporary structures with a new building.
The project was developed from the outset with innovation and sustainability identified as a key driver in the process and achieving BREEAM ‘Outstanding’ as a prerequisite. Some of the key aspects in delivering the ‘Outstanding’ rating were:
- Addressing “time critical” credits early on
- Minimising CO2 emissions to Zero
- Having a fully collaborative design team
- Providing detailed specifications to the contractor
- Assigning responsibility for every credit.
BREEAM Outstanding. Design-stage assessment has achieved the second highest BREEAM score in the world
CarbonPlan worked tirelessly to help maximise the BREEAM score for the New Studio Building achieving and surpassing University of the Arts London’s aspiration for BREEAM Outstanding with a final score of 88.17%.